> Hi Benjamin!
>
> Very cool! I like it a lot and would like to learn whether all your
> creations were done using Ubuntu Studio applications?
> For example, one can create a great looking image in GIMP resembling a
> website, but how does one proceed further. Which tools would one use to turn
> the GIMP file into an HTML file? I guess this could be something included in
> the tasks section.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Stefan

Hey Stefan --

To answer your question, I do use Ubuntu Studio (with some other packages
added) to create digital graphics.  In terms of designing things for the
web, I will typically layout and build things using Inkscape.  If i'm doing
something that requires altering a photo then I will fire up GIMP, but not
until it is necessary.  My main rational for this is that with raster
(bitmap) images and layouts, things degrade quite quickly as you make
changes.  Also, in terms of personal preference, I think that I just think
in 'vector' style.

 I do know that some people use GIMP for creating the prototype, however for
me I prefer Inkscape.  I think that it boils down to a couple of things.

1) Inkscape is a drawing program, as opposed to image editing program.  By
that I mean you make lines, circles, rectangles, text blocks, etc... as
opposed to making selections and changing the color of pixels (what GIMP
does).

2) Because it is a vector editing program, you can scale it to any size
without pixelation of the image.  You can also export the page, or any part
of it to any resolution that you want (see File:Export Bitmap in Inkscape)

3) Also because Inkscape is a markup language (it uses SVG)  it has many
similarities to HTML.  In addition svg is slowily becoming supported by
browsers (chromium does mostly, firefox a bit -  its quickly coming about.)

Anyway, check out inkscape.  I will also be trying to document my process
(beyond just inkscape) at the very least for the current wiki, and hopefully
for the various 'tasks' that we'll highlighting.

-- Benjamin