2010/10/27 Luke Yelavich <them...@ubuntu.com>

> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 01:12:54PM EDT, Brian David wrote:
> > Holstein just posted this on IRC.  It's worth re-posting to the list:
> >

> http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Ubuntu-1104-to-switch-to-Unity-desktop/?kc=rss
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> To be clear, Studio does not have to follow this path. Being a derivitive,
> studio can decide what it wants to do, whether it uses unity, gnome-shell,
> or stick with the usual GNOME panel interface. Of course its up to the
> project developers to decide, but just because Ubuntu is changing, doesn't
> mean UbuntuStudio has to.
>
> Luke
>
> --

Imho, we should first test if Unity desktop has a good or bad influence on
stability and performances. Once tested, it will be time to say if it is
good to keep Gnome and wait for Gnome 3.0, or follow on Unity.

Think that if we choose to continue to use Gnome desktop, we will have to
maintain more stuff by ourselves, this is a lot of work, or perhaps there
will be a new Gubuntu flavor (like Kubuntu) on which we might count. But it
means a lot of work and skills we don't have. Maybe it's better to focus on
applications packaging, performance optimization, etc... than on which
desktop should the default one.

If Unity works well, why should we bored ??

Toine