Hey guys, allow me to say a few words about this.

I've created a simple script some time ago that allows to use pulseaudio
*within* jack (making pulseaudio a 'slave').
The script simply kills pulseaudio, then restarts it with jack-modules
enabled.

The PulseAudio devs don't like this, but I've been using this method in
KXStudio since it's early days, and it just works.

There's only a catch - when a user stops jack, it has to manually restart
pulseaudio to make it work again.
Also, as expected, the default gnome-mixer is useless in this mode, as
pulseaudio is being 'slaved'.
(This is no problem in KXStudio, as JACK is always running)

I reworked the KXStudio site, so I don't have a special page for this
anymore, but I have ready-to-install packages:
http://ppa.launchpad.net/kxstudio-team/ppa/ubuntu/pool/main/p/pulse-jack/

simply run 'pulse-jack' to activate it.
(there's a special switch, '-p', to activate playback ports only).

please try it and tell me what you guys think.

thanks