EXT 4 seems to support a MUCH faster fsck filesystem check, unless someone made
big changes to fsck at about the same time (jaunty) that I changed to ext4.
This is a big deal for someone with one or more 2 TB disks in their home
filessytem, for obvious reasons.
I've never had a filesystem reliability problem specific to ext4, but I also
regard data that is on only one physical device the same as if it were only in
ram-as volatile until put on a second physical dvice that is not mounted
automatically at boot and not running all the time. I think using ext3 as a
default for any installer in an age of 2TB and even 3.5TB disks is asking for
some looong fsck boot waits unless fsck has gotten faster for ext3 as well. A
media-specific distro should assume the largest available disks will often be
seen, as video files are huge and serious video and movie makers quickly build
up a lot of them and do not want to throw out raw footage after every shoot. If
you archive everything, your filesystem gets very big very fast, for instance I
expect to have to get more 2TB disks or 3.5's depending on price sometime next
year.
Ralf mentioned an accidental  data loss/data recovery issue. For file recovery,
I use foremost (for older data types) and photorec (for newer data types and
partial video recovery). Where you will have problems is in recovering video
from camera cards and similar flash media. This is because ANY write to a flash
device without a lot of zeroed-out space forces data tyo be moved around so
blocks can be cleared for bulk erasing. As a result, any write, even a simple
reformat, to a camera card chops up video files, meaning you get only the first
section or other sections, typically about 2MB, of most of your videos, plus a
few larger ones, back. JPEGs come back just fine, though, presumably due to
being smaller than 2MB for what I am dealing with. I should take a magnetic
hard drive sometime, zero it out, and put 30-50 non-security requiring video
files on it sometime, then reformat and run photorec to verify that this is a
flash issue and not a photorec issue, though.
I once had the sheer joy of using photorec to recover enough video from a
friend's camera card where data had been forcibly "deleted" by
rifle-brandishing cops to totally embarass the US Capitol Police by running
video on Liveleak of them brandishing M16's at protesters.  This was the usual
flash camera card/vfat scenario, and I brought in photorec because foremost
recovered that motion jpeg video as a directly of over 19,000 jpegs instead of
as video! On the other hand, it did find every frame shot, so I had all the
possible stills from all the video shot.That won't work on AVCHD, though,
because the data stream isn't a collection ot jpegs.