On Thu, March 22, 2012 5:19 am, óÅÒÇÅÊ wrote:
> Sounds like KDE activities. I think you'll be interested in Adaptable
> GIMP article from Libre Graphics Magazine issue 1.2, it takes the same
> idea further. http://libregraphicsmag.com/backissues.html

Took a look at both of these... I am not sure I am trying to do either one.

I looked at Adaptable GIMP first. Very quickly, what came to mind was the
fun of searching for something on google. Even with reasonably well formed
queries one can expect several pages of useless links for one good one...
and most people tend to use the first one that works. They are talking
about 1000000 workflows for one application. The idea of choosing one of
400 ways of drawing a rectangle already makes me wonder if this would be a
help or a hindrance. I am also not sure how to adapt this to a group of
applications... lets let the GIMP guys work out the bugs first and become
familiar with their interface and how it works. For someone used to using
hardware that has controls that always do the same thing, this could be
confusing... and slow. I'm not saying it's no good, but before I could use
it in my own app, I need to have a better understanding of it's use in
someone elses.

KDE activities is more similar to what I am doing, but I don't think it is
a good match for Ubuntu Studio. It would be like having two sessions going
at the same time. The idea being to run more than one workflow at the same
time. I think the idea of xfce as a DE was to save cpu/memory for audio.
The idea of making ubuntu studio mostly single user... or at least only
one user with group audio and rt priv... is to have a really solid
recording/tracking/mixing machine. The DE and helper apps (like this) come
after all the audio parts and should not interfere with the artwork.

I'm not sure my app is the answer either... at least not the whole answer.
I am trying to stir things a bit though, to see if I can get other people
to generate more ideas. I am really out of practice with coding... aside
from being completely self taught... that is I have lots of bad habits ;-)
I have heard lots of talk about what US is looking for and the direction
it is going. I want to facilitate that. Sometimes it is easier to talk
about things with a prop or drawings. This is just a test so people can
say "yeah like that except change...", then maybe someone who can actually
code can do the real thing ;-)

Anyway, thank you for pointing out those two examples. I think anyone who
is looking at what I have done should look at those too. The starting
point might be the xfce panel, mine might be one step beyond if it had the
same WM integration. The question is how simple or complex do we want to
go. In my mind that would mean how simple can we be and still get the job
done well. Too simple is a waste of memory, too complex... same thing.

I would like to see something like run levels for workflows, so that when
a workflow is chosen some parts of the OS or DE can be turned off. If I'm
recording, then I don't want system sounds, I don't need networking, I
don't need update checkers... or cron at all. I don't need appointment
reminders... I don't need any distractions. There may be other times when
I do. I would like to have no desktop icons at all, that is just another
file manager running all the time. Like I say, it would be nice for the
workflow to configure the session to suit... not logout and login, but
while it runs.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net