On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 12:13 PM, Len Ovens <l...@ovenwerks.net> wrote:

> On Wed, August 1, 2012 9:42 pm, C. F. Howlett wrote:
> > http://www.rileybrandt.com/2012/07/31/linux-photo-1/
> >
> > Photographer profiles her use of Ubuntu along with showcasing part of her
> > portfolio.  Nice way to spread the linux love!
>
> Another question and need for comments.
> I also notice that Riley uses Rapid Photo Downloader. This is interesting
> in that he has at least two other applications that "seem" to preform the
> same task. This probably means that this app does the job he uses it for
> much better than those other apps. In our case Dark table seems to be able
> to do the same thing, but I noticed when I tried to use DT for importing
> photos it seems to take a long time... without doing any of the things RPD
> does.
>
> Should we be adding Rapid Photo Downloader to our workflow? (exists in
> ubunt repos) This will add 7.6 M to the user's disk. On the live iso I
> believe it would be compressed. The compressed package and deps is just
> under 2Meg.
>
> Comments?
>
> --
> Len Ovens
> www.OvenWerks.net
>

> --

A few questions then a comment.

Are you using RAW files to import? Can you try with Rapid Photo Download
and see if it is faster?

Can DarkTable also rename the imported files?

I don't mind the extra space (although that is quite a bit I guess) if it
performs better and I believe it is quite common for a dedicated
application for the ingestion of media in a professional environment.

ScottL