On Wed, May 22, 2013 10:32 am, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Getting audio working for audio production, with some bloated desktop
> environments is not very useful. Some desktop environemts do start a
> chunk of services by default to automagically enable usage for many
> things, so the user needs to customize those desktops for audio work, or
> somebody from the community has to do it. There are common workflows for
> pro-audio work and even while I could add a list of odd things, caused
> by Xfce, it's a sane choice to use it as the default for Ubuntu Studio.
> I'm using it on other Linux installs too.

I agree xfce is a sane choice and as far as I know it will continue to be
the default. However there have been many users asking how to make Studio
work with different DEs. So we are looking at making some DE metas that
can be added to Studio so that these users can have the DE they wish.
Personally, I expect to continue to use xfce though I may try out LXDE at
some point.

> Pulseaudio is something that should be discussed. It's not an issue to
> have it installed and to disable it, but it's an issue for users who
> start sessions by scripts, if there is the need to start "qjackctl", but
> to kill "qjackctl.real" or what ever it's called ;). I don't remember
> what the "qjackctl"(.fake)-script does and can't take a look at it at
> the moment, but IIRC it did something that also could be started by
> qjackctl, instead of naming a script qjackctl and then let it start
> qjackctl.real.

Looking at the /usr/bin/ dir on both 12.04 and 13.10 shows only qjackctl
and that file is a binary, not a script. So I am not sure that the two
processes are unique to ubuntu. However, If I was going to use scripts, I
would use jack_control which can do anything qjackctl can do.... Setting
HW names, rates, latency etc. I still like qjackctl over patchage for
connecting ports, but even that can be scripted.

> IMO it's already annoying if I need to start an app by it's name, but to
> kill it by killing python, however, this at least makes sense, while
> this qjackctl.thingy is an exotic Ubuntu Studio unique thing, that IMO
> isn't well thought out. A wrapper sometimes is useful, but this wrapper
> is strange.

I am not sure why this is. As I said the qjackctl file is not a script.
and I am not sure that it is unique to ubuntu either, but it is worth
checking out.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net