Some development work is not possible right now on Saucy. Cinnamon (which I
work with) is not in repo, GTK3 just got updates that remove many
DE's, even Kdenlive is not in repo right now. My main systems are Saucy with a
lot of pinned packages, GTK3 among them, and my development partition
for a Cinnamon meta is based on a Raring image avaialble at the time.

This might get worse as Mir development picks up in the future, and remember
that package-pinning would on a fresh install have to be all the way
back to the previous version of Ubuntu and not the lasst good intermediate
version.  I really hope this situation gets resolved, as right now I'm seeing
package after package being removed from repo and even more that Synaptic would
remove on an unrestricted update for reasons of compatability.