On Fri, June 14, 2013 6:45 pm, lukefro...@hushmail.com wrote:
> Some development work is not possible right now on Saucy. Cinnamon (which
> I work with) is not in repo, GTK3 just got updates that remove many
> DE's, even Kdenlive is not in repo right now. My main systems are Saucy
> with a lot of pinned packages, GTK3 among them, and my development
> partition
> for a Cinnamon meta is based on a Raring image avaialble at the time.
>
> This might get worse as Mir development picks up in the future, and
> remember that package-pinning would on a fresh install have to be all the
> way
> back to the previous version of Ubuntu and not the lasst good intermediate
> version.  I really hope this situation gets resolved, as right now I'm
> seeing
> package after package being removed from repo and even more that Synaptic
> would remove on an unrestricted update for reasons of compatability.

A little bit hard on "the community".

I installed linuxmint to try things out on cinnamon. Cinnamon crashes with
my system and goes into fallback mode. Or I can start cinnamon in a
software rendering mode (very slow). Mint also has the "Mate" DE available
so I installed that as well. The mate menu is sick... err or something. It
doesn't seem to be following any of the XDG menu files I have tried
playing with at all. The slow cinnamon seems to have the same menu as
gnomeshell with the extension. Maybe there is a better menu extension out
there that does better. Fallback mode works very well with a fixed config
menu. I am thinking these are based on gnome shell 3 but not the latest
one which of coarse has no fallback mode... as I found with ubuntu gnome.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net