On 07/17/2013 01:23 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Wed, 2013-07-17 at 11:37 +0200, David Henningsson wrote:
It's not always easy to know which problems are important

JFTR:
Lennart Peottering blamed ALSA and the users and ignored all reports,
but instead wrote ridiculing tracts. Pulseaudio became a hard dependency
where a hard dependency isn't needed and this did break audio for many
users.

I'll let that statement stand for you (as I wasn't that involved when all of that happened), but Lennart stopped working on PulseAudio more than three years ago. Since then, I and many others have fixed a lot of bugs, in both PulseAudio and ALSA.

It does not mean PulseAudio or ALSA is perfect, and that I agree with all design choices of that software. But at the moment, I think it's the best sound server out there for most mainstream use cases, which is why we have it enabled by default.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic