I've done direct tests comparing compositing to noncompositing desktops of
otherwises
similar "weight" on machines barely able to play 720P video. Both my netbook,
which
uses the Intel video driver, and a Pentium 4 2GHZ with Radeon 1650 (r500
driver) will
play a 720p/30fps/H264 video without falling behind on a noncompositing
environment.

On the Pentium 4 I compared Compiz in Mate to Marco (metacity fork) in Mate,
and
enabling compositing caused the CPU use to hit 100% and the video to fall
behind the
audio. Disable compositing, the CPU usage may barely touch 100%, usually between
85 to 95%, with the video keeping up.

On the netbook 720P video playback in Icewm is flawless, in any compositing
environment it is not. In the latter case memory bandwidth is a suspect, as
graphics
is on the chipset but the memory controller is on the CPU with one channel of
RAM,
a configuration I've never had good results with compositing on. All these
cases are
with direct ALSA sound.

On multicore CPUs with discrete graphics this problem goes completely away, thus
I use different DE's in different machines.