SImple-scan gives color scans on my machine with a networked
Kodak esp5250, a notoriously difficult device to set up but for
which cheap ink is easily found. I also have Xsane installed, in
fact its what I usually use simply because I have always used it.
I just tested simple-scan right now because of your report of a
problem. My machines are all synced to the 13.10 repos right now.

What kind of scanner aee you using? If they are anything like the
printers they are often part of some may be buggy or have buggy
drivers. If Xsane worked and simple-scan did not, however, that
sounds like an application bug.

I had to set up that Kodak ESP 5250 in ubuntu, was one HELL of a job
but I now have both printing and scanning working. The 64-but kernels
cannot recognize that printer through USB even though 32 bit kernels did
through Oneiric. Has to be a wireless connection, then it works but getting
the SANE backend to work on a network scanner is complex.

I bought it for cheap ink, knowing the c2esp package existed-and that in
the worst-case scenario I could print everything to jpegs on camera cards
and let it read those.