On Mon, 21 Jul 2014, James Freer wrote:

I have only been using Ubuntu Studio for a week, but I've noticed that if one uses apt-get update/upgrade/dist-upgrade it seems to trigger the Software Updater to then repeat the process. This didn't happen in Xubuntu.

Not sure what is up with that. I assume you are using 14.04? This is not unique to UbuntuStudio, It seems to happen with Kubuntu as well.I would think what triggers it is the update. Yup just confirmed that. I think this is new behavior. (It is probably considered an improvement :) )

I think the theory is that Ubuntu (meaning all the Ubuntu flavours) "is a GUI based distro and so what on earth would someone be using apt-get for anyway?"

So if you normally do updating by hand from CLI maybe try going to settings -> session and startup -> Application Autostart and remove the check from "Update Notifier". There is an anacron task that runs once a day that does the update part, so I think the notifier just looks to see if anything was found.

WRT sw updater, while it does still show the same sw for upgrade, running the Install option does correctly realize that the sw has already been installed and comes back with the system up to date screen in a few seconds.

I don't know if this is a bug or not, If so it will not get fixed here, but in the update notifier project. So you can do:
ubuntu-bug update-notifier
from the command line if you wish to file a bug report. If you post the bug number here, I will confirm it. I don't see it listed... but then I am not the best person when it comes to searchs :)

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net