One of the first things to do is install Wireshark, get it running, and then
engage
in a variety of offline actions with no browser running but connected to the
network.
Trap every IP address you see, then open a browser and enter each IP address and
find out what it is.

This is how I found that Ubuntu's flashplugin-installer has a dependency that
phones
home, namely the cron job in update-notifier-common. After getting rid of that,
I can
now run the system at idle, even with the browser open, and the only way any IP
addresses external to my setup show up in Wireshark is if a web page is open in
browser that updates itself. Otherwise no traffic.

In short, every system is different, and Wireshark will find everything except
anything
that starts and finishes before you can get Wireshark running. I have not yet
used
wireshark from one machine to monitor another but that would be the way to check
the whole boot process.

Here is a partial list of known problems that I have found:

Unity remote lenses (all of them)

Any kind of desktop remote search service

Mate-panel clock applet if and only if configured with a location to show
weather

Popularity-contest (obvious)]

Whoopsie (never had it installed but saw it on this list)

Apport

Update-notifier and update-notifier-common (chron job needs disabling if IP
addresses require concealment)

Flashplugin-installer (depends on update-notifier-common)

Ardour (reported to phone home)

Lightworks (nonfree, has phone-home activation)

Chromium (requires disabling Google services)

Chrome (closed, cannot disable all the Google spyware)

Firefox, details below:

        Google "prefs" cookie-disable all "safebrowsing" then delete all
cookies to disable
        Google "safebrowsing" service itself
        Cisco H264 codec in Firefox (auto-updates) disable in "plugins" and
remove URL's in about: config