Luke,
Kdenlive or other free softwares are ok for editing short or long projects,
with or without compositing and effetcs. However, most the time, open
source video editor can not work with broadcast quality (timecode sync on
video and audio, 4 audio tracks, ...)

Ralph,
I agree with Len, you don't need a pcie sound card, pci is fast enough for
audio (actually, usb2 is fast enough...) RME did new pcie version of their
card likely for the mac pro. And the RME driver has been developed by an
independant guy, not by RME officially. This guy may not have the time
anymore to work on the driver. Or he still have a pci RME soundcard, and he
might find that this is good enough.
About midi jitter with usb sound cards, I don't know. I use an Akai pmd18
without any issue. If there are some tests I can do to check, let me know.
It might also depend on the midi chipset, no ?

Antoine THOMAS
Tél: 0663137906