On Wed, Oct 21, 2015, at 01:28 PM, C. F. Howlett wrote:
> I have had a project in mind for some time.
>
> Ubuntu used to include GIMP.  On the desktop, there was a tutorial to
> introduce very basic GIMP functions in the form of a user-built Ubuntu
> logo image.  Cool stuff.  Sadly, removed in later releases. Likewise the
> old Ubuntu sample media folder.
>
> So, to my project;
>
> Target audience: "I just installed ubuntustudio.  Now what?" people
>
> Format: a series of easy peasy, introductory tutorials using the major
> apps in the focus areas.  For instance:
>
> SOUND > AUDACITY > Record your voice.  Sample and remove background
> noise.  Edit sound for  Darth Vader voice.  Save and export.
>
> Upon completion of the project, supply at least one tutorial.
> Fortunately, the major apps already have basic tutorials.  We just need
> to highlight them.
>
> Obviously, this is not the in-depth documentation currently under
> discussion in another channel, but I believe it fills a need and would
> give useful and welcome advice.
>
> I'm not qualified to do all the tutorials, but I am willing to edit and
> standardize the writing.  Any interest???

This sounds a bit like the idea we had for the youtube videos. Practical
tutorials sort of thing. I wouldn't mind having both videos and text,
though as you say, there are existing tutorials for most major
applications. Doesn't mean we can't make our own.

I'm thinking about how documentation should be organized. Tutorials
would deserve their own section. If we have a main "Documentation" page
on our website, it could have several subpages, and one of them could be
something equivalent to "Tutorials", where you can find all sorts of
resources, either our own made material, or links to existing stuff.

So, I'm all for it.