On Fri, 27 Nov 2015, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:

In terms of the enlightenment team, they just released E20 and there is lots of
activity on the mailing list. I cant give you numbers but I have seen a fair
number of developers from samsung that are working with enlightnement for the
Tizen SDK and lots of new developers. Latest version if i am not mistaken even
includes support for wayland.
I get loads of emails on a daily basis from their mailing list so there is quite
a fair bit of activity going on.

We will not be using Enlightenment. Unless there is a team that first creates "Ebuntu" and has a good track record of keeping a stable ubuntu flavour. Studio does not have the developers to keep up a DE in the Ubuntu ecosystem as well as deal with the artistic software. So we will continue to be based on one of the well established ubuntu flavours. Any work beyond that will be to make the essensials of Studio work on the Ubuntu flavours.

As you may have noticed in pervious Emails we are actually trying to do less DE work not more. The Xubuntu team works quite hard at keeping xfce up to date and bug free. In general their theming has been just what we need. On any machine suited to artistic workflows the DE is a minimal load. Both xfce and kde (not sure about unity and gnome session) allow tuning the DE to use less CPU if the user desires.

However with the profusion of things like USB mics :P ethernet connected audio interfaces and drawing surfaces, we have lots to do. One of the biggest troubles we have (still) is people not understanding jack. I am working on "autojack" which starts jack at session start and uses zita-ajbridge to also connect such things as USB mics so the user can find then in Qtractor, Non-Daw or Ardour. (would someone please package non in debian)

There is also work on -controls to expand this to manually configure autojack as well as making sure audio use is properly set up. (we need to add a reliable way to put the system into performance mode... hint needs a 60 second delay after sysem startup)

Artistic uses in Linux has a lot of room for improvement. Personally, I am pretty much audio focused, but Video has been confined to post production and playback for the most part.

The whole live video area has hardly been scratched. There is really, at this time not much in the way of lowlatency pro video handling in Linux. The profusion of firewire ports on SLRs and video cameras seems to have dried up and been replaced with USB with no video streaming capabilities.

Graphics has a long history in Linux, but Studio's Graphic setup is right now, no more than a collection of applications. We need someone who is passionate about graphics (or even some part of it) to make this work well. (there are right now some graphics setup stuff that may not even work or at least need someone make documentation on how it works who has the tools to check it with.)

That is a minimum of two people we need to just look at these areas. (I would suggest 4 people for mutual encouragement if nothing else) Studio is Audio focused right now. WHere are the other people?

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net