On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 10:19:58 +0100, br...@linuxsynths.com wrote:
>So I guess for me, the best set-up is to do web browsing mostly on a
>different pc, and use my ubuntu-studio pc for audio work. Not a
>problem at all, really.

Without any workaround a browser does use ALSA, if jackd isn't running,
IOW simply don't launch jackd, if you don't need it, launch jackd for
audio production only.

My HiFi receiver can't play the record player and the CD player at the
same time, so I'm forced to just listen to a record or a CD, I can not
listen to a record and a CD at the same time.

Without a workaround ALSA can't be used by jackd and by other software
at the same time, so we are just forced to use jackd clients or allow
other clients to access ALSA, it's the same situation as for my HiFi
amp. However, as long as we don't want to use the browser for audio, we
even could use a browser while jackd is running.

Listening to a keyboard teaching video, while playing a virtual synth
at the same time, recording a skype interview for a radio show and
similar things, are exceptional circumstances. Usually we do one thing
at a time. There are also exceptional cases when a HiFi amp fails,
e.g. if you want to listen to a spoken text CD and a music record at the
same time.

We don't educate children at the same time we do our job, unless the
job is to educate children. Humans are only good in doing one thing at
a time. I read that regarding neuroscience even women don't have
multitasking abilities. If we make music, we usually turn of the radio,
because for the brain filtering the radio music and keeping focus on the
music we make, is a very hard task, unless we don't play an instrument
or sing to the music played by the radio.

IOW it's just a silly hype that there is the need to be able to listen
to several audio sources on the computer, at the same time, there are
just a few valid exceptional circumstances, so it would make more
sense, if pulseaudio would not be the default, since without pulseaudio
it's still possible to use everything (excepted of sykpe and ...?) and
since Len didn't mention a single app that hangs or has got delayed
performance without pulseaudio, I doubt that there are much of those
apps. On my Linux installs no app ever failed regarding a missing
pulseaudio.
--
http://www.grundgesetz-gratis.de/
Regards,