I've mostly done radio and news video, though back in the 1990's I
was in a band mixing metal and medieval influences. Due to my
economic situation, almost every piece of gear had to be bought
by price, ruling out high-end stuff. I rebuilt an old rendal Marshall
guitar amp (expensive enough) with additional tubes for a clean
channel, channel switching, and extra gain on the distortion side.
Things like effects pedals were bought for price, had free programs
that could run on old computers existed they would have been used.

I used a cheap 4 track tape console for mixing demos, as neither
programs like Audacity nor affordable  computes that could run them
existed yet. I don't know if a 486 with 16MB of RAM could have mixed
sound down to wavs and applied effects, but even if it could that was a
$10,000 machine in 1989 and  doubtless nearly as expensive in 1991
when I started playing

Audacity on a Pentium III or even a Pentium II clunker would be more
that enough to blow that casette 4-track out of the water so far as both
sound quality and ease of use was concerned. The last and fastest
Pentiums could probably have done this, but not in 1992 when I got that
4-track, and even the Linux kernel had been out less than a year.
Audacity would not be out for another 8 years.