I was thinking there is one way to slow down but not stop this attack at the
server
level, and it works only if the package is both downloaded over https and
signed:
that is to have the packages and their signing keys on one server and the ssh
keys
on a physically different box, so any attack requires simultanious attacks on
two
machines. Any chance an account as big as Ubuntu on a cloud service would get
this simply because they were too big for one box(node)?