On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 22:16:40 +0300, eylul wrote:
>I'd rather not call inexperienced users, or people who don't have a lot
>of time to go read "lazy". They are users all the same. Not everybody
>has to become experts.

Correct and that's why those users want an easy to use GUI, without
cryptic options and especially without options that don't make sense at
all.

>Anyway the solution for such users is profiles (from your suggestion we
>will have 2 or 3). Ideally a beginner user will not have to create or
>modify their setup at all.
>
>This next level of complexity is for users who need a little bit more
>customization due to their specific hardware or simply use cases we
>haven't thought of, yet doing so without having to go to scripting and
>still with tools to easily make decision. It is also a good place to
>start understanding the underlying structure for the user who wants to
>learn more.

Wrong! This would be a "neither fish nor fowl" strategy. Provide sane
defaults without options that actually just cause doubts, by those
using defaults, because they don't understand the details. The clueless
user wants the Apple approach, the experienced user wants the Linux
approach. Both have in common to follow a clear KISS principle. If you
mix both approaches, the result is crap.

>In terms of commercial solutions UIs you are referring to, can you
>clarify which products you are thinking of? or if possible at all
>screenshots would be helpful. While we don't want to copy verbatim
>design solutions, it is helpful to know what people switching from
>industry standard commercial software to ubuntustudio would expect to
>find.

In regards to sample rate, latency and parallel accessible audio by all
desktop apps there is no proprietary concept successful that is similar
to your concept. They follow a completely different approach. Also
following a completely different approach is the Linux audio flagship
app Ardour 5.

On Linux the GUI of Qjackctl was redesigned, but IMO this is just
another "neither fish nor fowl" attitude.

If you take a look at Apple related software, it's similar as
done by Ardour 5 on Linux. The DAW handles everything. For example,
Cubasis 2 for iOS allows to connect by Audiobus and directly to the
audio interface. Ardour 5 for Linux allows to connect by Jack or
directly by ALSA to the audio interface.

Ardour 5 does not provide an option to bridge two sound servers, e.g.
Jack and Pulseaudio. It even doesn't provide a Jack MIDI to ALSA MIDI
bridge. Both could be useful, but only for a target group, that doesn't
need this kind of user-friendliness provided by a GUI. For Ardour it
would be possible to provide both bridges, too. Dunno, perhaps it will
do some day, OTOH perhaps it will go a completely different way.

If you do not want the AIO approach, but the Linux approach, then the
best bet is to do it the Linux way, using scripts, since it's to
complex to provide a clear GUI outside an audio app, the way you want it
to do.