I have never, ever left auto updating turned on because i often can't
spare the bandwidth, may be using an IP address I  don't want to make
non-Tor connections from, or cannot spare the CPU load on the netbook.
I have yet to have a use case where I could get away with it on something
other than a server(for which it may be crucial).