On Sun, 23 Jul 2017, Len Ovens wrote:

Two different things completely. The RT setting in -controls only shows up if jackd2 has not been properly installed. So it would not show up on a UbuntuStudio install (unless it is broken). it is there for people who install jackd2 or the Studio metas into another flavour and it ends up not installed correctly. clicking on the button corrects the install so that audio applications have RT access. The button in qjackctl only tells jackd if

I should point out that there is probably never any reason to reverse this process. It will have no effect on any non-audio application. There is the slight possibility that with a true RT kernel (which we don't provide) a bad application could use _all_ cpu time available locking the computer up as far as the user is concerned. However, our lowlatency kernel saves at least a little time for the system to work. I don't know of any packages with a bug like that.

It also fixes the use of some audio packages that use alsa directly such as Ardour with the alsa backend should anyone try to do that. That is, installing Ardour without installing jackd will not work even if the user never intends to use it with jack. Using -controls to fix rt will allow Ardour to run without jack installed. (I suspect Ardour lists jackd as a depnds anyway, but it can be downloaded from ardour.org too if the user wishes to keep up the latest version ... 5.10 these days)

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net