On 10/02/2017 05:17 PM, Len Ovens wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Oct 2017, Ross Gammon wrote:
>
>> Over the weekend, I started to look at packaging Carla. It has a LONG
>> way to go to comply with Debian policy, is missing some functionality
>> due to missing dependencies, and it also fails to build on 32bit, but
>> you are welcome to install and test my WIP (Work In Progress) here:
>> https://launchpad.net/~rosco2/+archive/ubuntu/new
>
> Cool. How does it mess up debian policy? Does it just depend on the
> wrong things or is it deeper than that? It is very acceptable not to
> include Linux Sampler either as a dep or anything else. In fact if all
> we get is the rack that loads plugins and the plugin that loads other
> plugins, it is well worth it. Being able to load win-VSTs while nice, is
> not required for a first go if we can get it into the repos without.

It is mainly the bundled software that is already packaged separately in
Debian (lilv etc.). It is allowed to bundle, if there is a valid reason
(e.g. the bundled software is heavily patched, or there is a large delta
between the Debian version and the one that Carla uses). But it will
take me some time to sort it out & test using the system versions.
There are also quite a few other minor things that will take time to
sort out.

Thanks for the data on the dependencies. It will help to prioritise. An
ntk package (one of the optional dependencies) is nearly ready in the
Debian Multimedia Team. Jaromir could not find a sponsor back when he
packaged it. But now I have the power!

>> I haven't actually tested it myself yet, so don't try it on a machine
>> that you depend on.
>
> It is only built for Artful and so while I could boot that up, I can't
> test it my normal workflow on 1604. Not that I use Carla or plugins that
> require it on a regular basis...  :)

I will see if I can upload something for Xenial tonight.

Cheers,

Ross