>On May 5, 2018 8:33 PM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mard...@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>> On Sat, 5 May 2018 07:25:16 -0700, er...@ericheickmeyer.com wrote:
>> > New theme (something with a dark variant)?
>>
>> Maintaining a theme that works good for all apps is very hard. I've
>> never seen a dark theme that really worked and was well maintained.
>
>I'm not sure how relevant this still is, but I'd also highly advise against
>using a dark theme as default. It's great if there's a dark variant available
>for those that want to use it (like myself, using Blackbird currently), but
>it's not the best choice to make it the standard.
>
>I've also had some trouble making the dark theme work everywhere, some
>programs will display input fields dark and not change the text colour, giving
>you black text on a dark grey background and other small issues like that.
>
>However, the most important consideration is that a majority of users find
>dark text on bright backgrounds easier to read. A bright background forces the
ye to focus and makes edge recognition easier, some people even have serious
trouble reading bright text on dark backgrounds, because they experience a glow
effect, making the letters fade into each other. There are some studies on this
somewhere, but I'm too lazy to look them up right now, they should >be
relatively easy to find, though.

Hi Thomas! We missed you yesterday!

I think the idea is /not/ to make a dark theme the default, but to have a dark
/variant/ of the theme, meaning it has a dark version as well as a light
version (which would be the default). I want to make sure everyone who reads
this understands that a dark theme will likely not be the default, but an
option. :)

Erich