First, it seems that I need at least 768MB and very likely 1GB of memory on the video board to avoid the problems I had with the 256MB All-In-Wonder Radeon board I used previously.  Displays are two HD displays; I couldn't display some windows, such as "Terminal Emulator", over the right-hand two-thirds of the second monitor.  With a 1GB card, no problem.

I also have a hypothesis as to why I has having problems with installing 18.10 on my primary desktop.

I thought that there was a problem with the login window never appearing; it turned out that the window would eventually appear. However, the system was incredibly slow.

After login all functions were very slow; for example, burning a DVD ran at less than 1X where the same hardware runs at more than 7x using 16.04.  The system was unable to keep the buffers filled, with 16.04 that is not a problem.

Updating the system was very slow; updates which stream past on the same system installing 16.04 took many times longer to complete.

A clue, I think, is that the "wa" (processes in wait state) percentage in "top" stood at more than 30% all of the time; currently running 16.04 on the same hardware it is 0.0 to 0.2%.

Running the version of XUBUNTU which is the base for 18.04 didn't show this issue (running from the DVD).

My guess is that there is something about the low-latency kernel that causes my dual Xeon quad core to slow down dramatically.  I wonder if it might have something to do with the security updates for the various problems like Spectre.  I didn't think of this until I had removed 18.10 and reinstalled 16.04 so I was unable to test the performance of the standard kernel.

Hardware is a Supermicro X7DAE (no SCSI) 4GB RAM, a Radeon 5550 series card, 3Ware 9750 SATA/SAS controller with two 2TB SATA drives in RAID1 for boot and a 4TB single drive, and an M-Audio (Envy24) Delta sound card.

I'll be reconfiguring my system so that the boot devices are in a hot-swappable Supermicro drive cage so I can test while leaving the base system alone.

I'm not sure what to do next, other than to install and test 18.10 using the standard kernel.

Thanks,

Mike Squires

--
Michael L. Squires, Ph.D., M.P.A.