You're doing excellent work, and I'm quite happy with the 19.x version of Ubuntu Studio.

My main reason for reporting is that defect with 18.x, very slow operation with my rather complex dual quad core Xeon system, does not occur with 19.10.  I don't know how common dual quad core Xeon systems are out there.

This problem appears to be specific to the kernel mods provided with Ubuntu Studio 18 when run on my hardware; the problem doesn't appear in the 16.x version of Ubuntu Studio nor does it appear in any Xubuntu version I've used.  It also does not appear when any version of Ubuntu Studio is installed on simpler hardware (on an HP i7 Envy 17T or a Dell 6320 i5 to be specific).

It did not appear, for reasons I can't find, when Ubuntu 18.x was updated with the backports PPA.  I didn't feel comfortable, however, using that version since I didn't know when, if ever, the problem would appear again.

Keep up the good work!

Mike Squires

--
Michael L. Squires, Ph.D., M.P.A.