I have to confess that this has prompted me to stop lurking after many years in
the background. While I don't use Ubuntu Studio as a main driver I still have
both affection for it and a live venue machine running it, when the theatre can
open again...

I fully endorse the suggestion that if you need to use Windows software then
simply do it. I'm a classical music publisher in part of my job and have no
option but to use a proprietary software, Sibelius with Finale in the
background as that is the de facto standard in the business. Composers turn in
manuscripts in that format, copyists produce masters in it and to convert the
whole set up to Ubuntu Studio or any Linux system to be totally free software
with Musescore would see them charging substantial fees for being different
elsewhere. Then add mock ups being produced where needed and its a holy mess
that is avoided by dual booting or dedicated workstations on different mediums,
my preferred choice with network storage of shared materials.

We do use open source software that I really got to grips with on Ubuntu
Studio. Scribus is our preferred DAW for covers etc and has been used in
providing music to at least 4 professional orchestras in the last 18 months for
concert, broadcast and recording. Thunderbird is our email of choice.
Personally I use AbiWord for lighter document work and Soft Musescore is used
for works by a particular composers family and we have over 30 works by him,
including big orchestral stuff coming to print that has been used by orchestras
and soloists in the UK. A set is possibly going on a disc of string quartet
music next year. Ubuntu Studio is more than mature enough to use in a
professional context for all of this side of the business and Ardour would
handle recording a professional disc or broadcast with ease. However you need
to have the right gear for it and that can be a stumbling block.

I also use a selection of software for my side gig as tech manager for local
community theatre as mentioned. 16 channel desk handles all control and effects
of live sound the Linux laptop runs sound cues, house music etc though I will
admit its not totally flawless and we do have a redundancy rig as well. However
any problems are nothing to do with Ubuntu Studio and are reported back to
developers. Lighting is being remapped once it's open and will likely be
windows solely as the Linux options don't play with the device driver. Again,
nothing to do with Studio and we are pragmatic about options. The same machine
runs Ardour for recording etc when we do such work and is great for real audio.
But we do make clear to users what we have so they don't expect pro tools etc.
Plug ins are fine and we have used various libre ones happily.

Where I do agree is that the interfaces for many instrumental libraries don't
run, but that is Linux full stop not Ubuntu Studio. And that is were again as a
professional you have to exercise pragmatism. I can score a theatre track in
Musescore as easily as in Sibelius but despite some solid soundfonts the
playback is  or anywhere near good enough for mock ups etc. Most developers say
that they have no problem with the raw samples as its audio. The ayback engine
is the issue and unless they have either large viable sales or a substantial
financial donation they can't justify Linux development. I understand that
entirely. One exception is Noteperformer by Wallander, who have discussed the
possibity of a Linux version for use with Musescore.

What we need to be is open to the possibilities and wonderful freedom provided
by Ubuntu Studio but don't hold them up for shortcomings of either developers
or the Linux platform itself. If you need Windows or Mac then you need it.

Dr. Stewart Thompson | Qualifications Director | Victoria College Examinations
| 71 Queen Victoria Street, London, EC4V 4AY |

Telephone 020 7405 6483| Freefone from UK 08 0800 EXAMS |
www.vcmexams.com<http://www.vcmexams.com>
Encouraging performers since 1890

This email and any attachments transmitted with it are confidential and
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named. If you are not
the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying or redistribution of this
information is not permitted. If you have received this in error please notify
the sender and delete it (including attachments) from your computer. Neither
the sender nor Victoria College of Music and Drama, London accept any liability
whatsoever for any defects of any nature in, or loss or damage arising from,
this transmission. It is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure all
materials are virus free. Any views or opinions expressed may be personal to
the sender and not necessarily reflect those of Victoria College of Music and
Drama, London.