Just wanted to say, yes I am still lurking here, and will start thinking on this. :)

Best

Eylul

On 17.10.2021 01:03, Erich Eickmeyer wrote:

Hi everyone!

It's been a wild two years. We've done quite a bit to get to where we are now, and we only continue to grow both in popularity and in the team! Granted, it's mostly Len and myself on a day-to-day basis, but we seem to be getting more and more help, and this past go-around with 21.10 that was in testing. I'm so glad to see so much participation!

As I look to 22.04 and the challenges that has taken place in the past, I've been considering a few thoughts, primarily having to do with our ISO size, which is coming close to exceeding the technical limits. In fact, we even had to cut some stuff from this past release.

With that, I'm going to look into things we can do to mitigate that going forward, and I'm starting with our default theming and wallpaper.

  * Wallpaper can go back to JPG. I remember a couple years ago we
    went to PNG by default, but this is now hurting us. On this note,
    I'd like to hold a new wallpaper contest for this cycle.
  * We should make a new default wallpaper. If Eylul doesn't see this,
    I'll reach out to her via Telegram to see if she'd like to take
    the reigns on this one
  * We currently bring in another theme for our default theme: Materia
    with the Papirus icons. I've been playing around with rebasing
    onto KDE's default Breeze with a different color scheme and
    continuing with the Papirus icons. I like the results I'm seeing
    so far. The reason for the different color scheme is twofold:
     1. Identity separate from Kubuntu
     2. The default Breeze colors are on the cool side and not good
        for photography or video production since they can fool the eye.
          o Based on that, I have found a color scheme based on
            Adwaita (default GNOME colors) that is very neutral. I
            plan on incorporating that, and so far the results have
            been very nice.
          o Rebasing on Breeze will also remove the need for Kvantum
            and that overhead, bringing us in-line with the default
            Plasma/Kwin theming engines.
          o I plan on auditing our reverse dependencies for items
            we're still bringing-in that don't need to be there. It
            was discovered that we were still depending on an Xfce
            library, which we removed, and you will notice that the
            Elementary icons are still installed by default despite
            moving to Papirus over two years ago.

If any of you can think of some default-installed applications that we don't really need as their function is duplicated elsewhere, I'd love to know.

Also, we will be moving forward with removing "Publishing". For those worried about Musescore, that will not be removed as it's still part of the audio/music category/metapackage.

Thanks, everyone! I think 22.04 will turn out to be a great LTS release.

--

Erich Eickmeyer

Project Leader - Ubuntu Studio

Member - Ubuntu Community Council