On Oct 2, 2007, at 8:14 AM, Susan Cragin wrote:

> Hello. I installed Linux Studio yesterday and have all the updates.
> I understood that my echoaudio pcmcia card would be recognized, but
> I am
> having trouble getting it to work. Could anyone point me to the latest
> installation instructions? Thanks.
>
> Thanks.
> Susan

Hi Susan, I have a layla20.  I found that the firmware was missing
from ALSA in Ubuntu Studio Feisty with some other things.  This was
fixed by downloading the latest ALSA and rebuilding.

        This would include:
        Alsa-drivers
        Alsa-firmware
        Alsa-libs
        Alsa-utils

        Extract each of the above to separate directories and then enter
alsa drivers for example and begin there with ./configure, make, make
install - to install each portion of ALSA.

        When installing ALSA drivers, include the sound card as follows:
        $sudo ./configure --with-card=layla20

        This makes sure to compile the driver for your soundcard which may
be different than 'layla20', also note that the card name is
'layla20' and not 'snd-layla20'.  You can put multiple cards on that
line seperated by commas.  For example ./configure --with-
card=layla20,usb-audio

        After the install try modprobing the layla20 driver:
        $modprobe snd-layla20

        If you get no response to the command it is probably working.

        Try the aplay -l command to list playback devices and see if the
card is there.

        Edit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base   and set the index of the layla20 to
0.  This makes it the default device for the system.  You can see
various other lines in there with =1 etc.  Here, refer to your device
as 'snd-layla20' for example.  Then reboot.

        If your echoaudio card has spdif, remember that to access this you
should use hw:0,1 in various software and dialogs to specify the
digital device on the soundcard.  For example in qjackctl.  hw(0,0)
would be the analog devices.

        Ubuntu Studio also comes with a nice app called echomixer that can
be run from a terminal.

Hope this Helps,

-jonathan adams leonard