Thanks for all the good advice.. Yup recording tracks and then playing
them back seems to be the way forward for me - not ideal as I like to
twiddle the knobs on amSynth while I'm recording, but in fact I only
usually do this with 2 or 3 amSynths per song so the rest could be
pre-recorded.

I've had a go at this and it's a bit annoying because it's hard to get
everything playing in sync - is there a way I can press one button, and
have Seq24 start playing, and some other piece of software that can play a
pre-recorded track (Ardour, or something else) starts playing at the same
time? (And maybe recording as well?) Sorry if this is a dumb question. I
had a look for a very simple sampler that could just be plugged into
Seq24, and couldn't find anything.

Thanks,
Katie.