Hi everyone. Fairly new to UbuntuStudio but have been using linux for
several years now. Anyways, I decided to install UbuntuStudio v7.10 on
an older machine running an ECS N2U400-A motherboard with an AMD
Athlon XP 1800 processor and 768MB ram. I disabled the on board sound
card and installed an older digital soundcard (Hoontech ST Digital XG)
with the digital daughter card. So far everything has been working
fine and I'm quite impressed with the package. I haven't done anything
with recording etc, but have done some graphics work.

Anyways, I have been playing some mp3s etc with some analogue speakers
connected to the speaker out port. Today I decided to hook up some
digital speakers (BA 790) to the digital spdif coax-out port of the
daughter card and I'm getting no sound. The speakers are working via
the analogue port. The card was working previously in windows and in
openSUSE, but I can't figure out what is wrong now. The card is
installed as a Yamaha YMF-744B. The toslink port on the card has a
light so I know I've got power to the daughter card, but no sound.
I've played with various mixer settings with either alsamixer or
qamix, but I have to admit I'm not sure what I'm doing.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can get sound through the digital port
on this card? Is the card just so old that it isn't supported any
more? I know it isn't the best card, but I'm not prepared to spend
upwards of $200 for another digital card just yet when all I want to
do at this point is digitally import some music from my minidiscs to
mp3s. If you have any suggestions that would be great.

Thanks,
Brian