Andrew Hunter schrieb:

> One of the features that we are considering is changing the permissions
> on raw1394 /etc/udev/rules.d/40-permissions.rules from disk to audio or
> video. This is a necessary change currently to enable firewire based
> devices to work as a regular user, such as firewire sound cards and
> video cameras.

Video cams also? Quite strange - I can download easily from a
mini-dv-cam whithout any hassle. First time I mentioned  the
permission-issue was when I used a firewire-soundcard first.

> The other alternative solution is to add the user to group "disk",
> though this may also cause problems.

I did this and do not have any problems right now - of course I do notdo
that on a server, it is my Laptop on wich I use the FW-card for mobile
recording. Seriously: I do not see a realworld useage-scenario, whre
adding the user to group disk could be a problem....

> The issue with this is that it creates a rather large security risk for
> the system, in that any device on the firewire bus can run with root
> privileges. This risk is less of an issue for stand-alone machines that
> do not use Ethernet over firewire,

I never saw a machine using firewire to connect to a network - USB yes
for stuff like Zaurus but FW?

> I would like to stress that it _will not_ be changed by default. All
> that we are considering is providing a more accessible way to modify
> those settings.

Very good idea: PLUS: such a tool should allow to set stuff like
max_user_freq and limits.conf also...

> In the future, when Ubuntu and by extension Ubuntu Studio move to the
> new firewire stack in the kernel, this issue will be an non-issue. The
> new kernel stack provides much finer granularity and control over
> permissions on specific devices.
>
> The question then I am posing to you guys is this: How many of you
> already change this setting by hand?

I did, be member of group disk now and it works quite OK for me...

bg
hzn