[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 09:00:22 -0500
> "Cory K." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>> Raphaël Doursenaud wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> http://archive.ematech.fr is a repository with latest svn revision
>>> of Ardour 2.0-ongoing packaged for Ubuntu Studio 7.10 (Gutsy
>>> Gibbon). Both i386 and amd64 versions of the package are available.
>>>
>>> I'll try to package the latest svn on a daily basis.
>>>
>>> The repository will soon host some
>>> new/custom/backported/hard-to-find bleeding edge packages for
>>> Ubuntu Studio.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Raphaël Doursenaud
>>>

>> Ubuntu Studio as a project does _not_ support the use of 3rd party
>> repos. I'd actually prefer you advertise this as a Ubuntu repo
>> instead.
>>
>> In Gutsy Ardour is currently 2.1-1. Ubuntu Studio's point as a team
>> was to handle things like your repo. We intend to backport every
>> stable release of apps like Ardour to the prior release. We've
>> already done this once for Ardour and will probably have another
>> update soon.
>>
>> In the end I'd rather you had come forward to work with us as a team
>> then to go off by yourself.
>>
>> -Cory (project lead)
>>

> Using svn-ongoing is currently a rather good idea since it has lots of
> bugfixes and also some features, but since ardour is close to the next
> intermediate release it probably was not the best time to come up with
> this.

It can also introduce regressions. Newer is _not_ better. Using SVN on
production machines is not a good idea. The team works the Ardour guys
to keep in line with every _stable_ release.

> I'd really like to see some more stuff packaged even if not included in
> Ubuntu Studio.It would be better if it's in the official repositories,
> on the other hand, new versions could be available faster when in an
> external one, or am I wrong with this?

I'd like to see people join our team and get their work done in the
proper repos so everyone benefits.

> Anyway, some cooperation would probably beneficial.
> Regards,
>       Philipp

My point exactly.