Larry Lines wrote:
> They will become cheap enough as soon as everyone replaces ALL of their DVD's
> with
> Blu Ray or HDDVD.

Well they are coming down so I'll get a PS3 this summer and use that for
movies.

> And we're all suckers so we will end up replacing our whole libraries
> with the new technology.  I can't wait for the new audio format to come out
> so I can
> purchase Dark Side of the Moon for the 5th time (first four - Vinyl,
> Cassette, CD and MP3).

We're only suckers if we let ourselves. CDs aren't going anywhere soon.
No matter how grim the industry likes to portray itself. CDs IMHO are
perfect. They can try to come out with supposed "better" formats but it
will only be in a effort to further copy-protection.

> Also can't wait to purchase Apocalypse Now again, VHS, Beta, DVD and now
> what...  I guess
> I'll get it on Blu Ray AND HDDVD so I can compare them and argue with my
> friends.  How about
> we start a petition to not change from DVD.  We're all suckers.
>
> Larry Lines

This why I skipped over DVD entirely. I've been following HDTV too long
to amass a huge DVD collection only to buy it again. I knew I would. ;)

But seriously, gone are the days when a standard is around for 20, 30,
50 years like SDTV. Industry will continue to try to give us a perceived
"latest and greatest". Just the way it works. :P Vote with your
<InsertLocalCurrencyHere>.

-Cory