Hi,
I've got an Indigo IO as well, and what I learned was that there is
firmware that needs
to be loaded. Be sure that you've installed the alsa-firmware package.
This package
contains firmware for the Indigo IO as well as a host of other cards.
I'm not sure if a
reboot is required after install, but it certainly wouldn't hurt.

Good Luck,
ernie

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 5:10 AM, Alex Holding
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi gang,
>
> Just switched from windows to ubuntu (due to the studio i work in doing the
> same). Have to say i love it, i realise im abit of hippy at heart so agree
> thoroughly with the ethos, and im really opening up to the potential of this
> format of software.
>
> Anyway enough chatter....My laptop is a sony vaio and i use an echo indigo
> IO pcmcia card for audio in and out. At the minute ubuntu studio doesent
> even recognise the card, although the pretty little blue light is on. Iv
> looked around a fair bit and come up with several walk throughs regarding
> getting it working, all of which im prepared to try, and have done so with a
> few already, but iv reached a point where i felt a second opinion would be
> of aid.
>
> Im not asking for a step-by-step walkthrough as i realise it would only
> translate halfway towards my system (and capabilities) but i do want peoples
> opinions as to which of the methods touted on places such as the
> asla-project.org and ubuntu forum sites is generally the best one to work
> with? Some of the methods described detail releases before gutsy, would
> these still be usable?
>
> Apologises for the lengthy message and slightly noob slant, if anyone cares
> to throw info my way id really appreciate it, although iv come to realise
> with linux you understand by doing, and sometimes that means just plugging
> away till you get it right.
>
> Cheers
>
> Alex

"Both Rob and I see sound as shapes.
I only have to do this (makes a fist)
and he knows what sound I mean". - Autechre
Ernie Dulanowsky
www.pulsewidth.ca