Take a look in Taube's Common Music/Common Lisp Music ... It is really
easy to generate math inspired music on lisp...
Taube has created GraceCL (not Grace, which is another app) which
depends only on SBCL (install from the repositories).

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=9766&package_id=260584&release_id=574343
http://commonmusic.sourceforge.net/doc/cm.html

another solution is puredata (mainly if you plan to use automata in
interactive music systems or in real-time situations).