I heard the Emu 1616M is a good choice, though it's also $450. It
includes an internal sound card for the computer and an external device
for connecting instruments/mics/etc.

I'm also interested in getting a mixer to go along with this.

As an alternative for an internal sound card, I came across this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271001

...though I am unaware of the value in that, and if I am getting a mixer
perhaps I should get something similar to the Emu 1616 regardless.

Does anybody know if there is a more affordable alternative to the Emu
1616M?

Here's a Yamaha small mixer that might go well with my computer:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMMG102C

...unless there are better alternatives?

Here's the Emu 1616M:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--EMU1616MPCI

After I decide on computer hardware and mixer, I will get a mic,
possibly a Shure SM57...

http://www.zzounds.com/item--SHUSM57LC

Thank you in advance for any input.

Sean Darby