> 1) Regarding the mixer, you've chosen a very good brand for it. Mackie
> es definitely not the cheapest, but its the one I recommend to
> everyone. they''ve got the most renowned built-in amps (very very
> silent) and very good eq's (esp. parametric ones on bigger mixers).
> The one you talk about is compact enough for home and has many uses,
> but as a musician I can see one downside: it has no inserts! make sure
> you wont be needing them, otherwise you'll find yourself re-routing
> signals and wasting channels on your small mixer. the plus side is the
> following size up mackie, the 1202 comes with them if needed.

Hi John,

Thank you for the response and feedback.

Regarding mixer, I'd like one that has plenty of channels but I don't
need too many. I'd like to have the slider-version of faders if
possible. I don't really need a mixer with the "fx" features. I'm not
sure if I'll need one with digital out - I'm guessing I do, even if it's
an analog mixer, since I'll be recording onto my actual computer and
mastering it there.

How would either of these 2 mixers do in place of the previous one?

A) Mackie DFX12
http://www.zzounds.com/item--MACDFX12

B) Yamaha MG124C
http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMMG124C

The Yamaha doesn't have the effects, which is nice, though I do like
Mackie, yet that one has the effects. I couldn't find a "non-fx" version
of the DFX12.

I think that both of those have inserts.

They also have the slider faders rather than dials/knobs for faders,
which I like.

> 2) Studio monitors are imporant too. You want to choose something
> thats reliable that tells you the truth about whats sounding. But also
> that would depend on what sort of music you're making (electronic, or
> hiphop will be monitored differently from a pop/rock track). I'm
> guessing you'll be recording, mixing, and mastering on the same
> speakers so you probably want a very flat response from them. I use
> the Yamaha HS-50s which are remarkably flat.
> Best thing to do is go to music production shop, take a mix cd with
> tracks you know very well and try 2 or 3 monitors you might want to
> buy.

I like that the HS-50s add up to less than the HS-80s ($400 versus $700
for two), though, is it possible to get a quality pair of studio
monitors for even less than $400?

On a microphone side-topic: I was originally considering the SM57,
though have since considered condensors - looking at possibly getting
either AT2020, Samson C01, or Samson C03. At the moment I'm leaning
toward the AT2020. I'm not sure yet how many I'll need (for starting out
with, at least).

Thanks!

Sean Darby