I'm running 8.10 on an HP tx2510us tablet pc and having similar wifi problems.
I can get it to run "once" by using ndiswrapper with the 802.11n (fast) Vista
driver. By "once" I mean that after rebooting, it no longer works. If I
uninstall ndiswrapper, reboot, reinstall, it works again. Pain in the ...

I had to go to the users control panel and set my account with root equivelant
priviledges so I could even unlock the network manager and wrapper to modify
settings, set up WEP, etc. This is not very user friendly yet. The root
hostility of Ubuntu is a real draaaaaag. I gave up and set up a root account,
but you still need to sudo lots of things.

If anyone knows what's up with "once only" ndiswrapper, I would like in on the
secret.

Thanks.