hi all

I want to install PureData 0.40.3-extended on Ubuntu Studio 8.04.
Previously i had PureData 0.39 and this was not a problem because 0.39
installed to /usr/local but 0.40 goes to /usr/lib So Studio doesnt like
it because it already has vanilla PureData installed, this is included
in ubuntustudio-audio package so uninstalling PD wants to uninstall the
whole audio package.

I want PD extended because it has plenty of externals and documentation
included. There are two options to install PD-extended one is via
apt-get, this is the docs about it
http://puredata.info/docs/faq/debian

another is to download the package and install it with dpkg i am
wondering if maybe i could force it to go to /usr/local to avoid this
error. I am always afraid of making a mess when this kind of conflicts
happens so if anyone could suggest some options it would be apreciated

thanks

enrike