Hello,

Yesterday I hooked up my Ubuntu Studio box to the internet again for
the first time in about a month and a half so I could get some files
and programs, and also to update the system. There were a lot of
updates, and the computer froze about 4/5 through installing the
files, so I forced a restart.

Restarted. Opening Synaptic gave me a message telling me to run "dpkg
--configure -a". I did that and it seemed to finish installing the
programs as it would normally.

Now when I try to start Jack with RT enabled, it fails. It works
without RT, and it worked before either way. I've messed around with
the settings, but so far to no avail.

Here is the output of the Messages window:

20:18:47.587 Patchbay deactivated.
20:18:47.680 Statistics reset.
20:18:47.718 ALSA connection graph change.
20:18:47.915 ALSA connection change.
20:19:24.476 Startup script...
20:19:24.479 artsshell -q terminate
20:19:24.926 Startup script terminated with exit status=256.
20:19:24.927 JACK is starting...
20:19:24.928 /usr/bin/jackd -R -dfreebob -r44100 -p1024 -n3 -D
20:19:24.943 JACK was started with PID=5732.
jackd 0.109.2
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 10) [for thread
-1210870096, from thread -1210870096] (1: Operation not permitted)
cannot create engine
20:19:24.958 JACK was stopped successfully.
20:19:24.959 Post-shutdown script...
20:19:24.961 killall jackd
jackd: no process killed
20:19:25.374 Post-shutdown script terminated with exit status=256.
20:19:26.958 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall
operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the
messages window for more info.

I am using a Pentium 4 machine with 512MB ram, 58GB on this partition.
I've got a FireWire card in a PCI slot to which a Presonus FireBox is
attached. This is the first time I've had problems with the audio.

I'm using the RT kernel
I've got realtime checked in Jack settings, with 3 periods at 1024
frames each. I've been using the freebob driver.

All these settings are fine when realtime is not enabled. In a few
days I am going to need to record about 8 tracks simultaneously (2
fireboxes), and I can't see that happening without realtime
scheduling.

thanks,
Phil