Hi all,

I've been trying to do two things in one: Learn a bit about
debian/ubuntu packaging + creating a ppa with up-to-date versions of
some of the applications that I would use myself, that is music
production applications, for hardy and intrepid.

The packages in my ppa are completely untested (this cannot be
stressed enough, I haven't even tested all of them myself), and they
are my first attempts ever of (re)packaging.

Now, my question is: Is there any interest in an archive like this? If
yes, would it be a good idea to start a team for backporting packages?
Is anyone interested in working on this?

Right now, the ppa holds, e.g:
* ardour 2.7
* audacity 1.3.6
* hydrogen 0.9.4beta2
* ffado 2.0-rc1
* jack 0.116.1
* kernel 2.6.24 for intrepid 64-bit

My idea is to keep to latest upstream versions of packages and avoid
experimental versions. The reason hydrogen 0.9.4-beta2 is there, is
because 0.9.3 never worked with jack+ffado for me, and the reason
ffado is there, is because jack+freebob never worked with my audio
device.

Personally, I think there should be a semi-official archive that
allows ubuntustudio users to upgrade to the latest and greatest
without leaving their distribution, be it hardy or intrepid. To me,
this became obvious when I realized I couldn't upgrade to intrepid due
to the realtime kernel problems. I really wanted a new version of
ardour, and hydrogen wouldn't work for me, and so on, so I ended up
compiling everything I needed locally, but if I'm doing it, there
might be others doing it as well, and some who don't know how to do
it. So why not sharing, eh?

Regards,
Khashayar.

(PS, I know I haven't included a link to the ppa. That's because all
packages aren't built yet, and I want to know what people think first.
Also, I have to come up with a way to REALLY STRESS that the packages
are completely untested :-))