Ok, well that's not so bad.  I actually like CLI for certain things,
and know some Unix.  It seems like the hard part is not downloading/
installing stuff, but figuring out what to install and what not to,
with what options, parameters, etc.  And it seems that most modern
audio/MIDI hardware is not supported - like my MOTU 828 mkII (which
is several years old and now outdated by the new mkIII).  Then people
talk about how many minutes they can run Ardour without any crashes
or problems and I'm thinking this is still the bleeding edge.  I deal
with bugs and glitches sometimes with Digital Performer on my Macs,
but in general it just works.

Are you using a Linux machine regularly to do audio/MIDI and finding
it solid and useable, or is this still mostly an experiment to see
what you can get running and for how long?

Many thanks for the shared wisdom... (and anyone else with experience
to share please chime in)
ld