Grammostola Rosea wrote:
> Khashayar Naderehvandi wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 2:00 PM, Grammostola Rosea
>> <rosea.grammost...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> @ Cory and others,
>>>
>>> Do you know multimedia packages which are in Debian and not in Ubuntu or
>>> vice versa?
>>>

>> I would definitely want to package for debian, and then have packages
>> synced to ubuntu automatically. I'm currently packaging pencil for
>> ubuntu, and will probably try to repackage it for debian further down
>> the road.
>> My problem with debian packaging currently, is that I'm not at all
>> familiar with the tools and so on. I simply don't feel at home.
>>
>> With Ubuntu I have two invaluable tools: prevu and the PPA. Prevu
>> (which is a wrapper of sorts around pbuilder), because it's the first
>> thing I came over, and it's so simple to use that I haven't bothered
>> learning pbuilder. Also, launchpad is neat, I can't get used to the
>> email based BTS of debian's.
>>
>> However, I have my mind set on learning and getting used to the debian
>> way of things. As soon as I find the time.
>>

> You're right if you say that building your first package for Debian will
> cost you more time and effort.
> But when you build the packages 'The Debian way' you got quality
> packages for sure! It also improves you Debian skills and so also your
> Ubuntu skills!
>
> Packaging with the easy tools and for PPA has some disadvantages. For
> example with PPA, the packages are not well tested on the different
> Ubuntu editions...
>
> I think to start with email could be neat, but after you're used to it,
> you don't want different I think ;)
>
> Btw I discovered you got some nice help from the Debian Multimedia Team
> and also from Debian mentors with building your (first) packages!!
>
> http://mentors.debian.net/cgi-bin/welcome
> http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-ment...@lists.debian.org/info.html
>

> Good luck!
>
> \r
>
> ps. nice pbuilder howto: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PbuilderHowto

O and make sure you read this one: http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/

This seems to be a bit difficult compared to the Ubuntu documentation.
But if you take your time and take out the main parts, you can start to
build your package and ask the Debian Multimedia Team (there is a newbie
discussion right now there) or the Debian mentors mailinglist for
assistance. I think there are also a lot of people who uses Ubuntu too.

\r