On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 5:33 PM, Brian David <beej...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been reading this list in the archives for a while now, and decided to
> join up so I could pitch in with the Jaunty Beta testing.  Still fairly new
> to Linux, and to using e-mail lists for that matter, so keep that in mind as
> you read this.
>
> First up, here's my hardware.  It's a fairly old desktop that I use for
> testing:
>
> Motherboard: Asrock K7VT4A
> Processor: AMD Sempron 2400+
> Video: ATI Radeon 9600+
> Memory: 2 GB
> Audio Interface: Presonus Firepod
>
> *SNIP*
> --
> -Brian David

I realize that testing the actual Ubuntu Studio distro as opposed to an
upgraded regular Ubuntu install is more helpful to the dev team.  So I went
ahead and downloaded the Jaunty daily (per Cory's reccommendation) from
yesterday, installed, and did some more test runs.  Same hardware as
mentioned in the e-mail above.

Install went just fine, booted up with no problems.

As a quick aside, while the new artwork is indeed very fancy, I personally
don't think it's as classy as the old versions.  The old style was more
'earthy' and this new artwork is a bit too slick.  Obviously, that's neither
her nor there, since I can just change that, but I figured I'd mention it.

I'd also like to note that it's a bit of a hassle getting the permissions
for firewire devices worked out.  I either had to manually change the
permissions on /dev/raw1394 using chmod every time I booted up, run JACK as
root every time I used JACK, or edit my
/lib/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules file to put the firewire device in
the 'audio' group.  I went for that last one because it provided a somewhat
permanent, one-time solution.  Would it be possible to have Ubuntu Studio
itself fix this issue in some way on install, so that firewire users can get
closer to the desired 'works out of the box' goal?

However, once I got my rig going, the tests themselves went well.  I put up
a single mic to record one track into Ardour, then I ran several tests at
different sample rates.  My first test was a push-the-limits thing.  I
recorded at 96 khz, 256 frames/period.  I used software monitoring in
Ardour, and even browsed the internet while I recorded.  After I recorded
about ten minutes using ffado, I had around 17 xruns, which is, for this
machine, actually very good.  Similar results were had from freebob (freebob
seems to work much better under Ubuntu Studio then under a regular Ubuntu
install).  I then redid the test just recording, still using software
monitoring, but without doing any other programs running.  Freebob had 2
xruns after ten minutes, and ffado had a whopping 0.  Impressive!  This
thing should be very stable at lower sampling rates.

I then opened up an 11 track drum session originally recorded in Pro Tools
and futzed around for a bit.  I'm still having problems with the Ardour
plug-ins, similar to what I mentioned in my original post.  Many of the
parameters are frozen in place and unchangeable.  On a regular Ubuntu
install I fixed this by removing Ardour and reinstalling from a deb from
getdeb.net.  I have not done this with Ubuntu Sudio, yet.  This is the
biggest problem so far, and I'd appreciate it if anyone had info on any
possible fixes, or if it will be fixed in the offical release.  I'm farily
sure it must have something to do with the Ubuntu packages, and not Ardour
itself.

I'll keep testing.  So far, the RT kernel itself seems to be working very
well.  Thanks for all the hard work everyone!

--
-Brian David