On Monday 15 June 2009 07:06:51 pm Christian Convey wrote:
> > Does anyone know if/how I can get my Radias to have a MIDI connection
> > to my Ubuntu Studio 9.04 computer, over USB?
> >
> > I'm very new to connecting a MIDI keyboard to a PC.  I just bought a
> > Korg Radias, and it has a USB connector.  The Radias software for
> > Windows has a USB-MIDI driver.  It works fine on Windows, but I have
> > no idea how to tell if Ubuntu Studio's software can see the keyboard
> > via MIDI.  Any suggestions?
> >
> > I don't have a separate USB-MIDI conversion box, so at the moment the
> > Radia's USB port is my only hope of connecting the keyboard to my PC.
>
> Okay, after plugging the Radias into a different USB port on my PC,
> and after reopening the JACK Patchbay, I do see some connectors for my
> Radias.  In both the "Input Sockets / Plugs" and in the "Output
> Sockets / Plugs", I see a "RADIAS" entry.  And under the RADIAS entry
> in each of those two lists are two entries: "RADIAS MIDI 1" and
> "RADIAS MIDI 2".
>
> I was thinking to try connecting one or both of the RADIAS-related
> Input sockets to a virtual synth, so prove to myself that the Radias
> keyboard's MIDI events can be routed to a JACK program.  But when I
> launched various soft synths that came with Ubuntu Studio: QSynth and
> ZynAddSubFX, they never showed up in the JACK MIDI Patchbay, so it
> wasn't clear how to connect my Radia's keyboard events to any
> softsynth (or sequencer, for that matter.)
>
> Any suggestions for how I can demonstrate that the Radias keyboard can
> drive some piece of software in Ubuntu Studio?
>
> Much appreciated,
> Christian
=====================================
 Christian the following links may be of use:

Dave Phillips { Studio Dave } Linux Journal
"JACK Sync: A Primer For Linux Users"
http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1004080

"Ardour 2.0: A Brief Practical Introduction"
http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000224

"Linux Midi  A Brief Survey" part 1,2,3,4
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7773
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7912
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7918
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8050
Join and follow this LAU list. Many musicians etc.
Linux Audio Users list  [ check out the archive ]
http://lad.linuxaudio.org/subscribe/lau.html
You may want to read this review:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/judgement-day-studio-dave-tests-ubuntu-
studio-904