Hi Gustin,
I connect it always in USB port, now no joy... in Hardy all worked fine, now I
think there is a probleme with ALSA and the MIDI input, alsa can't detect MIDI
devices and can't pass information to JACK... So no MIDI support...

Do you have US 9.04 ? In Qjackctl ALSA connection can you see your MIDI devices
(I can see only tymidity ports on the right) ? If your Axiom works in plug and
play I suppose that during the reinstallation of alsa drivers, needed to have
my sound card work, I've lost midi support, maybe i've done wrong
configuration...
I think it's a solvable probleme, but I need some help...

I copy the information I've posted yesterday..........
I connect it in USB port, no joy... in Hardy all worked fine, now I think there
is a probleme with ALSA and the MIDI input, alsa can't detect MIDI devices and
can't pass information to JACK... So no MIDI support...

Do you have US 9.04 ? In Qjackctl ALSA connection can you see your MIDI devices
(I can see only tymidity ports on the right) ? If your Axiom works in plug and
play I suppose that during the reinstallation of alsa drivers, needed to have
my sound card work, I've lost midi support... I think it's a solvable probleme,
but I need some help... I don't know Alsa MIDI details...

I copy the information I've posted yesterday..........

musica...@lo-ez:~$ lsmod |grep seq
snd_seq_oss            39424  0
snd_seq_midi           14240  0
snd_rawmidi            29344  2 snd_ice1724,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event     15104  2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq                57840  23 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_timer              29064  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device         15372  4 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
snd                    63908  24
snd_ice1724,snd_ac97_codec,snd_ak4xxx_adda,snd_ak4114,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_pt2258,snd_i2c,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device

musica...@lo-ez:~$ aconnect -i
client 0: «System» [type=kernel]
    0 'Timer           '
    1 'Announce        '

I've tried to set both seq and raw driver in qjackctl and nothing changes....

There isn't any reference to 'Midi Through'..........

I suppose the probleme is in ALSA... But where ?

I've patched and reinstalled it  to have my soundcard working...

$ patch -p0 < esi_maya44-alsa-1.0.18rc3.diff
$ ./configure --with-cards=ice1724 --with-sequencer=yes
$ make
$ sudo make install

No problem...

Soundcard works fine...
But ALSA has maybe lost someting... The midi control... ??

EZ EZ wrote:
> Hi guys, I'm Ezio from Italian Alpes...
> I've any sound problems :
> I've passed to Ubuntu Studio JJ 9.04 from US HH 8.04, all worked fine but
> i've changed my suondcard, now I've an Esi Maya 44 pci, so I need an Alsa
> upgrade to patch it............
>
> In 8.04 my midi keyboard was plug and play, I could see it in JACK Control,
> window "Connection", section "Alsa", and enjoy with Ardour, Qsynth,
> Rosegarden, ZynAddSubFX  etc...
>
> After the upgrade the "ALSA list of readable clients/output ports" is ALWAYS
> EMPTY... Why ?
>
> When I run ZynAddSubFX, it doesn't appears in the "AUDIO list of readable
> clients/output ports" so i can't connect it to the soundcard's playbacks...
> But in the 8.04 there was !
>
> Could you help me ???
> I'll give you more information if request...

I have the Axiom 49, I usually just connect it to the MIDI ports of my
9652, I just don't trust USB.  If your sound card has a midi port you
should be able to connect it to that.  When I get home tonight I will
see if my 9.04 laptop can see the Axiom.