Hi everybody.

As I would like to try to make music using my pc, a few days ago I tried
ubuntustudio 9.04 but I had to deinstall it because it kept freezing.. I
searched the web and found that I'm not alone.. the other posts I found
about it talked about a buggy kernel.. but I don't know if that is
really the problem I'm facing.

So.. I decided to start using plain ubuntu with ardour/jack and then,
when I find I can find my way around with the software and need a more
efficient platform, try to go back to ubuntustudio, in the hope that in
the meanwhile a solution will be out.

If somebody would be so kind to try help me, just ask me for the info
needed in order to analize the problem, and I'll be more than happy to
provide it.

Anyways, I'm trying to use ardour and jack, but I'm stuck with the midi
interface that is not seen by jack.. I believe is not seen by the OS.

Any help welcome. Thanks!

Robi

Keyboard: Roland W-30
Midi interface: Prodipe MIDI USB 4i4o
(http://www.prodipe.com/index.php?ml=16&cat=3&lang=9&pidpress=192)

$ cat /dev/sndstat
Sound Driver:3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v1.0.18rc3 emulation code)
Kernel: Linux ubudesk 2.6.28-13-generic #45-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jun 30
19:49:51 UTC 2009 i686
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 10: ALSA emulation

Card config:
HDA Intel at 0xddcf8000 irq 19
USB Device 0x471:0x310 at usb-0000:00:1d.0-1, full speed
USB Midi 4i4o at usb-0000:00:1d.1-2, full speed

Audio devices:
0: AD198x Analog (DUPLEX)
1: USB Audio

Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG