Wine has its advocates, and I'm one of them. It's good if you want to run ONE BIG application, and run it fast, and you know the limitations of wine.
I run Dragon NaturallySpeaking. I've given speed and accuracy demonstrations to Dragon's developers, and they said "Wow."
The program doesn't run perfectly, and it crashes occasionally, but while it's running it's great.
Most wino-philes just run World of Warcraft. I understand the allure of running WOW on wine.
But I'd never use it to run something where all features have to work and speed doesn't count.